A Guide to the Best Museums in San Diego
San Diego is famous for its world-renowned attractions like SeaWorld and Legoland, but San Diego is also a cultural hub with more than 90 museums throughout the city. And since San Diego has been called one of America’s most creative cities, there is sure to be a museum to pique everyone’s interest. Whether you are fascinated by fine art, natural history, aviation, or science, endless possibilities are waiting to be discovered. Stay with us at Beachfront Only Oceanside Vacation Rentals, and you be 30 minutes away from the best museums in San Diego.
Museums for the History Buff
There are so many museums in San Diego that it can be impossible to choose which ones to visit. Whether you are interested in aviation, human history, or maritime ships, you will step back in time at these museums:
- USS Midway Museum: This is one of the top museums in the country where you can see 30 restored aircraft and ten acres of exhibits on aviation.
- Maritime Museum of San Diego: Climb aboard historic landmark vessels like sailing ships, steam-powered, and submarines at this maritime museum. There are also exhibits that chronicle the history of sailing and charting the sea in San Diego.
- Museum of US: This unique museum examines the human experience through the lens of the past. You can find exhibits on anything from ancient Egypt to the myth and reality of cannibals.
Museums for the Art Lover
Creativity thrives in San Diego, meaning there are over a dozen art museums to choose from in the city. From classic to contemporary, here are the best museums in San Diego for the art lover:
- San Diego Museum of Art: This renowned art museum features over 20,000 objects from around the world. The exhibits include paintings, prints, drawings, sculptures, and photography.
- Museum of Photographic Arts: The MOPA is one of three museums in the country that showcases and celebrates photography with over 9,000 images in the exhibits.
- Museum of Contemporary Art: If you are more interested in contemporary art, then this museum is for you. This space features art from 1950 to the present across all artistic mediums.
If you are vacationing in the San Diego area as a family, you may be searching for a fun and educational museum everyone can enjoy. The kids are sure to learn something new from one of these San Diego museums:
- Fleet Science Center: The kids and explore over 100 interactive science exhibits at this family-friendly museum. There is also an IMAX theatre here to watch documentary films or experience the planetarium.
- The New Children’s Museum: The mission of this museum is to stimulate imagination and creativity in children through contemporary art exhibits.
Visit the Best San Diego Museums During Your Getaway
Stay with us at Beachfront Only Oceanside Vacation Rentals, and you will be 30 minutes away from everything Downtown San Diego has to offer. Explore the best museums in San Diego, then drive back to your vacation home on the beach. Whether you are travelling as a couple or a family, we have everything you need for a memorable California vacation!