North County San Diego Surfing Guide
With over 800 miles of coastline, year-round sunshine, and consistent waves, it’s no surprise that California is one of the top surfing destinations in the country. But, with such a dynamic surf culture in the Golden State, it can be impossible to know the best spots to catch a wave. Luckily, the North County San Diego surfing scene has something for everyone, whether you are trying this water sport for the first time or a seasoned surfer. At Beachfront Only Oceanside Vacation Rentals, we offer California beach rentals near several fantastic surfing beaches. Read on to discover where you can ride the gnarliest waves in North County.
Encinitas has a reputation for being that classic laid-back SoCal surf town, with several beaches that deliver some of the best breaks in the state. From the legendary waves at Swamis to family-friendly beaches, here are the top Encinitas surf spots:
- Swamis: This is one of the most popular San Diego surfing spots, thanks to the impressive swells. This beach is quite popular, so we only recommend Swamis for advanced riders who can navigate the crowds.
- Cardiff Reef: If you are looking for a surf beach in Encinitas for all ages and abilities, we recommend Cardiff Reef.
Carlsbad & Oceanside Surfing
Even though surfing in Carlsbad and Oceanside isn’t as popular as in Encinitas, you can still find several excellent San Diego surfing spots here. In fact, Oceanside and Carlsbad are some of the most consistent surf spots in Southern California. Here are a few of the popular surf spots in these charming beach communities:
- Tamarack: This Carlsbad surfing beach offers great waves for experienced surfers.
- Ponto Jetties: South Carlsbad offers another excellent surf spot thanks to the two jetties that create breaks year-round.
- Oceanside Pier: Considered the surfing hot spot of Oceanside, you can find fantastic waves on the north and south side of the pier.
- Oceanside Harbor: If you are looking for a surf spot away from the crowds of the pier, then head to Oceanside Harbor. You can also learn to surf here with the professional guides at Learn to Rip.
Don’t forget to stop at the California Surf Museum in Oceanside to see exhibits highlighting the history of surfing.
North County Beachfront Vacation Rentals
San Diego surfing is an excellent way to immerse yourself in the laid-back California lifestyle during vacation. And Beachfront Only Vacation Rentals offers fantastic properties throughout Encinitas, Carlsbad, and Oceanside. Our beachfront homes offer incredible views of the Pacific Coastline, so you will never lose sight of the beach. Whether you are looking for a charming beach bungalow or a spacious vacation home for your extended family, we have something for everyone!